Official name: Super Junior (슈퍼주니어)
A.K.A: SJ, SuJu, 슈주
Debut: 6 november, 2005
Members: LeeTeuk, HeeChul, HanGeng, Yesung, KangIn, ShinDong, SungMin, EunHyuk, DongHae, Siwon, RyeoWook, Kibum and KyuHyun
Additional members: Henry and ZhouMi (From SJ-M)
Inactive members: LeeTeuk & HeeChul (Army), HanGeng (Doing a solo career in China) and Kibum (Acting)
Fan Club: E.L.F (Ever Lasting Friends)
Official color: Pearl sapphire blue
Motto: I prom15e to 13elieve, to 10ve and to prot3ct
Singer, dance, actor, radio DJ, television host and MC
- LeeTeuk is very caring, bright and cheerful, always bring smiles to the other members face, cracking really lame jokes, and making sure that they are ready for everything, but he also goes through bouts of depression and sometimes feels lonely or starts crying for no reason. During this time, he his very thankful to have the other members to cheer him up.
- Outside of being a member of SJ, he is also a frequent member of variety shows, and MC and a radio DJ. He says that he loves being a radio DJ the most because he can fulfill other’s dream
- LeeTteuk is an excellent leader, but a terrible driver. When the other members are in the car with him, they always make sure they have seat belts and are terrified. However he tends to think that he is the best.
- LeeTeuk auditioned because he wanted to go to the University, but he wasn’t the brightest. Therefore, instead he wanted to impress them with his dance skills and created a dance troop to show his talent. Shortly after an SME talent scout gave him a card and LeeTeuk got into SME.
Singer, dancer, actor, radio DJ, television Host, MC, model
- On the outside, Heechul acts like a confident princess, because he constantly brags about his good looks, how popular he is and acts nosy and entitled, but he is actually very shy and not that social outside the shows and doesn’t know how to express himself fully.
- Heechul is considered a princess, because he loves girl idols and is constantly memorizing their songs and dances. He also loves to write poems and fairytales in his spare time.
- Out of all the members, Heechul is the one that speaks up the most when he thinks that fans are mistreating the other members. He doesn’t really care that this is not the idol image, he only cares about what he sees as right or wrong
- Before Super Junior, Heechul was an actor. In 2009, he almost quit Super Junior to become a full time actor, but when making choreo, the members purposely left a spot for Heechul and this along with a visit from Eunhyuk convinced him to stay.
- When he auditioned in 2002, he actually showed up late, but they let him try out anyways. Looking back on his tape, not even Heechul knows why he got casted. He says that he tried out because he loves entertainment and he wanted to make his parents happy
- He currently has two cats: HeeBum (Russian Blue) and Champagne (Siamese)
Singer, dancer, actor, model, piano
- He is known for being really kind and cooking for the other members, however due to the language barrier, on tv shows he seems a bit slower on the up take and gets teased for spacing out by the rest of the group.
- Is one of Super Junior’s best dancers, because he went to Beijing Dance Academy and knows 56 types of Chinese minority dances.
- He is the only Chinese member in the main Super Junoir and SME picked him, and only him, from 3000 people that auditioned in their first Chinese audition
- He’s doing a solo career in China and already released his 1st album
*Left SM-Entertainment and Super Junior in 2009 after filling a law-suit against SME for “unlawful and overly restrictive” contracts*
Singer, dancer, television host, MC, radio host
- Yesung is known for being Super Junior’s very weird, but completely adorable member. When the other members are sleeping, he likes to watch them sleep because they’re cute (he’ll go from room to room), likes popping up right behind them and leaning against their back, and has some weird obsession with the philtrum.
- Yesung is the most confident when trying out new things. When the members are asked to do something new, he is always the first to volunteer. Strangely, the first time he does something is usually the best and it just goes downhill.
- Although he always enjoyed singing and is one of SJ main singers, he didn’t know if he was talented enough to be a singer and used to tell his mom, “I don’t think I’m talented enough”, so his mother, believing in him, applied to SME for him online.
- His stage name Yesung is an acronym of the phrase 예술가의 성대which means “Vocal Cords of an artist”
- When Heechul got a cat, Yesung got jealous and bought a turtle, but then, since the turtle would only blink at him, he claimed that it only made him more jealous. Still, he must like turtles, because he now owns three, Ddangkoma (땅꼬마), Ddangkkoming (땅꼬밍) and Ddangkkomaeng (땅꼬맹).
Singer, dancer, actor, television host, MC, radio host, piano, guitar, bass guitar
- Kangin was given his stage name, which means “strong benevolence,” because it fit his personality. He is physically the strongest member of Super Junior, but is also a very kind, gentle and compassionate person
- When on televisions shows, Kangin is usually the member that talks the most and hardly ever is able to shut up. He is also know at being very bad at keeping other’s secrets because they just come out. Heechul once said that, if he told Kangin a secret and then Kangin went out to the sea, by the time he came back, all the fishes would know the secret.
- Kangin is very bad at keeping track of money. He frequently tried to get out of paying and is always asking the older members to buy food for him. Heechul is the most frequent victim of these requests.
- He owns a dog named Gongju (Princess, Japanese Spitz), because his coordi noona told him that her eyes look just like his.
- In 2009, Kangin ran into legal troubles involving a drunken bar fight, a DUI and a hit and run. Feeling guilty for these activities, he went on hiatus and chose to voluntarily start Korea’s mandatory military service in 2010.
Singer, dancer, actor, radio host, MC, rapper
- Shindong is known as Super Junior’s funny man and is always setting a good mood for the others. He actually got into the company by passing the comedy section of the audition.
- Prior to joining SME, Shindong won the 2002 and 2003 Goyangshi Youth Dance contest (Grand Prize in 2002 and Gold Prize in 2003) and 2004 Mnet Epi Contest (Gold Prize and Popularity Award) for his dancing.
- He owns a scooter which he calls Kkoolie (the equivalent to “Oink-ie” since in Korea pigs say “kkool”). He often goes riding with Sungmin, with whom he also shares a love of photography.
- Ever since his debut in Super Junior, Shindong has struggled back and forth with his weight. However, despite this, he is still one of Super Juniors best dancers and is seen doing all types of dances on variety shows and concerts, including a swing dance with his father.
- Shindong is the only member of SuJu to have a confirmed fiancé. He proposed to her in the credits of their fourth album.
Singer, dancer, actor, piano, guitar, bass guitar, drums
- Sungmin is considered the aegyo boy of Super Junior and uses that to his advantage by acting extremely cute and silly on all the television and radio shows that he appears in. He really has thing for the color pink.
- Sungmin loves to play different instruments and can never decided on which instrument he wants to play next. Currently he plays piano, guitar, drums, harmonica and also own a violin and clarinet, but doesn’t play them well.
- Sungmin took a class on how to give massages and is really good, both Leeteuk and Heechul come to him with random spots hurting to get a message.
- Like Shindong, he owns a scooter which he calls Byul (별 which means Star) and often goes riding with Shindong, with whom he also shares a love of photography
Singer, dancer, rapper, actor, radio host, MC, piano
- He is known as the dancing king of Super Junior and is responsible for choreographing some of their dances. He is also a composer and lyricist and has penned some of Super Junior album’s tracks.
- Despite having a what looks like a tough exterior, Eunhyuk is one of the members that cries the most and probably the one that is most caring of the other boys and treats them all like rear brothers.
- Eunhyuk and friend Xiah (DBSK) went to the audition together, Xiah passed but Eunhyuk didn’t, then when he saw Xiah on stage, he called to him and burst into tears. Hearing this Xiah said that he wanted to Eunhyuk on stage soon too, so he auditioned again and passed.
- Out of all members, he is the one that eats the most when they go out and constantly wears shoelifts
Singer, dancer, MC, lyricist
- Zhou Mi is kind of known for being a mini-Siwon as he is also as a very gentlemen like personality, however he tends to be dorkier than Siwon.
- Before joining SME, Zhou Mi had already made a name of himself in China by competing and winning many different televised music competitions.
- Zhou Mi never directly auditioned for SME, instead a friend submitted an entry for him through the “recommend a friend” option and due to the fact he could sing in Korean fluently, he quickly won over the judges and was asked to join the company.
- Many fans had very harsh negative reaction to his addition to Super Junior, so an attempted to appease them and make sure the boys were not hurt, SME made him only part of Super Junior-M. However many fans are still not happy and like to boo when Zhou Mi is singing. Recently he was named the new leader of SJM after Hangeng left the company.
Singer, dancer, rapper, songwriter, actor, piano, guitar
- Donghae is the adorable kid member of Super Junior. All the members say that his personality is closer to a 5 year olds than 24 year old. He believes in both aliens and ghost, is extremely ticklish and loves to play jokes with Eunhyuk.
- He is also very straightforward in the way that he talks and worries that some times people might take what he says the wrong way. He loves attention and says that he feels lonely frequently.
- Donghae really enjoys learning how to play new instruments (piano, guitar, drums, violin) and composes songs for Super Junior’s albums.
- Since his name, Donghae, means “Big Sea” most of his nicknames are related to that meaning. He also has a dog (Bichon Maltese) that he named “Bada” which means sea as well. (He has a second dog as well, named Meo, but that is short for Romeo.)
- When he was younger, he wanted to be an athlete, but because of the fact he kept dancing in front of his father, his father suggested that he be a singer instead. At first Donghae turned him down, but after seeing an ad in the newspaper, he showed it his dad and his dad gave him money to try out. Sadly, during his 6 years training, he spent most of the time away from his family and shortly after he debuted and Donghae returned home to give him his first check, his father passed away. From then on, Donghae promised to always do his best to fulfill his father’s dream.
Singer, dancer, actor, model, drums, piano
- Siwon is SuJu’s very serious, religious, affectionate (especially around the guys, he is shyer around girls), perfect gentlemen. When speaking he uses a very polite style of speech combined with lots of large sweeping hand gestures and body movements. These hand gestures are SuJu main point of teasing him when they are in variety show.
- Siwon says that his weakness is that rarely satisfied with what he does, because it always seems missing. However, he tends to do a lot of crazy things, because when someone tells him that “Siwon, you can’t do _______,” he says he becomes like a charging bull and needs to do it.
- Outside of SuJu he is also a model and an actor. He’s also a drummer and as been the substitute drummer for SME rock band “The Trax”
- Siwon was actually born on April 7, 1986, but his parents didn’t register his birthday until February 10, 1987, so that is the date he celebrates with the fans.
- The main reason Siwon wanted to be an entertainer was to make his name known and be able to do lots of charity works, but his parents, who are very wealthy, disapproved of this idea. They let him join the company after being scouted in 2003, but told him they would not do anything to help him with his career. He needed to make it on his own.
Singer, dancer, songwriter, actor, piano
- Ryeowook is the crybaby and care taker of the group, he likes to do things such as make food for them and making sure that they are really happy. He is also the quietest members when they are alone, although when he doing entertainment jobs, he puts his all into it and you would never guess.
- Ryeowook is the member concerned most about his looks and even wears make up when they are not doing any professional activities. He even wears it when he goes home to see his parents. He thinks he has a different personality when he goes around in his glasses and without makeup.
- Before he auditioned, he was studying classical music and composition in school, therefore he always asking other members to play with music and help him to compose
- Ryeowook was not actually supposed to be part of Super Junior, but just weeks before the debut a member quit and SME picked him straight from an audition to take his place and made his debut 2 months after joining
Singer, dancer, actor, rapper, model
- The other members of SuJu say that Kibum is a cheerful and calm person, but he is known for being less talkative then the other members. Out of Super Junior, he is the one that speaks the least. He also has a special way of covering his mouth with his hand when laughing.
- Since vanishing from Super Junior’s group actives, he played the male lead in the movie “Jumunjin,” which was released January 21, 2010 and appeared in a stage play called ” A (Middle) Nap.” He was also the main character is Super Junior’s full length film, “Attack on the Pin-Up Boys”
- Although he was born in Korea, he lived in LA most of his life and was picked by a talent scouts of the streets without even hearing him sing or watching him dance.
- Despite living in Los Angeles, Kibum has admitted that he’s not that good at English. He says that he only know enough to be polite to foreigners and ask them basic questions.
- Kibum debuted as an child actor and says that his dream is to be remembered as actor. Currently, he is perusing acting instead of taking part of the group’s activities. He has not appeared with the group since the video for “It’s You.”
Singer, dancer, actor, model, clarinet, piano
- As the youngest member of the group, he’s really snarky and loves to share embarrassing stories and jokes about all the older member, playing jokes on them and talk informally to them, because he can actually get away from it.
- Kyuhyun is a huge gamer and self admitted addict. When he is not working, he is usually playing games, which is why his nickname is GameKyu. He has even woken up the other members when they’re sleeping when he loses.
- In 2007, Kyuhyun (along with Eunhyuk, Leeteuk and Shindong), were in a car accident, but for him, it was almost fatal. He says he even remembers laying on the ground and thinking that he would die before slipping into a coma. While he was out of it, the doctors thought that the only way to save him was to slice through his throat which would have caused him to never sing again, but his father, who was originally against him being a singer, told them that they absolutely must find another way, because if Kyuhyun couldn’t sing he would lose his purposes. After this, the doctors found another way and Kyuhyun eventually woke up 6 days later and left the hospital 78 days
- Kyuhyun joined Super Junior in 2006, after they had release their first two singles
Singer, dancer, violin, piano, rapper
-Henry is natively Canadian and speaks fluent English. He also specializes in popping, dancing and playing violin (as well as the piano), which he had done since he was 6 and can do both at the same time.
- He is the youngest of the entire Super Junior family, so he likes to pick on and cause troubles for the older members but, unlike Kyuhyun, the other members like to “punish him” for his actions in usually funny manners.
- Henry is most well known for being the mysterious violin player in Super Junior’s Don’t Don. This caused many fans to panic that he would join Super Junior and because of the negative reaction, SME decided against this and placed him along with Zhou Mi in a subgroup called Super Junior M that was to only promote in China. Even with this, he is still hated by many fans.
Super Junior K.R.Y
Super Junior-K.R.Y., established in November 2006, is a trio formed by Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Yesung which makes up KRY in the title of the group. The company discovered that these three members developed a particular personal and subsequent fan-base that was separate from the rest of the group, and how they also had similar musical qualities. They therefore grouped these three members together to perform particular songs to target a more mature audience. Being the most vocally powerful members of the group, Super Junior-K.R.Y. are credited to singing mournful, R&B-style ballads, a style that has proven very popular in recent years.
Super Junior-K.R.Y.’s first official performance was on November 5, 2006 on KBS’s Music Bank, performing “The One I Love (한 사람만을).” They have participated in the original soundtrack of the tvN drama Hyena with a total of three tracks, including the main theme. The trio also contributed tracks in two additional original soundtracks, one track in both the soundtracks of Snow Flower and Billy Jean Look at Me. Unlike Super Junior’s other sub-units, Super Junior-K.R.Y. has not officially released a single or album, and only participated in collaboration albums and original soundtracks. However, a new album is expected from KRY in the future.
On August 1, 2010, Super Junior’s sub-unit KRY. made history by opening their own concert for the first time in Japan, and upon the fans’ request for an encore, more performances were added in Kobe on the 1st and 2 November and later on, 1 and 2 December in Fukuoka. There were about a total of 22,000 people who watched the 6 sessions of the performances. The group successfully finished their concert tour in Japan and Taiwan last year. Due to ardent requests from Korean fans wanting to see Super Junior-K.R.Y.’s concert, the group decided to also hold the concert in Korea.
Super Junior T
Super Junior-Trot (슈퍼주니어-트로트), officially known as Super Junior-T (슈퍼주니어-티) is the second official sub-unit of Korean boy band Super Junior. They are the first idol group known for capitalizing trot music, the oldest form of Korean pop music. Super Junior-T contains six Super Junior members, Leeteuk (the leader), Heechul, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, and Eunhyuk.
Super Junior-T has released only one single in the short span of their career before they were announced to be on hiatus in 2008. The single “Rokkugo” was Korea’s sixteenth best-selling record and the number one best-selling single of 2007, according to the Music Industry Association of Korea. In November 2008, the subgroup returned with a debut in the Japanese music industry, releasing the Japanese version of “Rokkugo.”
Super Junior-T is well-known for their parodies, such as the short miniseries Palace T, a parody of the popular Korean drama, Princess Hours which aired on the channel M.NET, as a part of Idol World.
Due to Super Junior-T’s active participance in trot music and their comedic appearances, the group gained outstanding attention from the older audience despite their well-known young idol images that was created for them in the main group Super Junior. Members of Super Junior-T explained that they wanted to change their idol appearance and hope that they would gain different fans from their new trot image.
Super Junior M
Super Junior-M, often referred to as SJ-M, is the third official sub-unit of Korean boy band Super Junior. They are the first international music group in the Chinese music industry to have members of both Chinese and Korean descent, and are also the first group produced by Korea’s CT (Culture Technology) organization, created through a comprehensive localization strategy. Super Junior-M made their debut in 2008, with five Super Junior members: Han Geng, Siwon, Donghae, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun as well as two new ethnic Chinese members, Henry and Zhou Mi.After the first announcement of Super Junior-M on October 2, 2007, and the possibility of adding a non-Super Junior member, Henry, to this unit, Super Junior fans immediately voiced out their dissatisfaction and opposition. Immediately, a website was built, called “Only 13”, to oppose against SM Entertainment’s actions. Through the website, fans of Super Junior communicate and plan out protesting actions against the company. Before legal protests began, many online petitions were made by both Korean and Chinese fans to prevent and convince the label to not add a fourteenth member. Most fans agreed on a silent protest. On October 21, 2007 and throughout the week, over 400 E.L.Fs silently sat in front of the SM building and held signs that supported the group to have only thirteen members. Thousands of fans wrote letters to the company and pleaded them to keep the group permanent, but no answer was returned.
Over one thousand more fans appeared in front of the SM building on E.L.F’s third protest on November 3, 2007. The fans sang various Super Junior songs and shouted “thirteen.” Although SM Entertainment’s answer to the fans’ protest stated that new members in Super Junior-M will not be added to the official group and thus will not affect Super Junior’s main career, many fans still held the belief that there will be this possibility of seeing new official Super Junior members in the future.
After more rumors leaked of SM Entertainment sneaking in an extra non-Super Junior member, Zhou Mi, to the subgroup, the fans decided to gain this chance to have a legal representation as part of SM Entertainment’s stockholders. As of March 20, 2008, Super Junior fans from all over the world purchased 58,206 stocks of SM Entertainment, holding 0.3% of the company’s entire stock. They released a statement through the media, stating that they will obtain all chances to prevent SM Entertainment from adding new members and to keep Super Junior as only thirteen.
After the release of Super Junior-M’s official blog on April 3, 2008, over 5,000 comments were posted by Chinese fans in an hour, voicing out their support to keep Super Junior as thirteen members. The administrator resulted in locking the comment box where only those with sohu blog accounts could comment.
In December 2009, Han Geng filled a lawsuit against SM Entertainment aiming for contract termination, the reasons that his lawyer released were: the contract had provisions in SM Entertainment’s favor, the 13-year contract length was unlawful, it would take an unfair sum of money to end the contract, he was not allowed to request to revise his contract, he was forced to do things that were not in his contract, he was forced to do things against his will, he was fined if he disobeyed the company, missed any events or was late, and there was unfair profit distribution. Along with this, it was disclosed that because of SM Entertainment’s refusal to give him a day off in over two years, he had developed gastritis and kidney disease..returned to China to pursue a solo career and the group’s activities were halted. In December 21, 2010 the Seoul Central District Court ruled in favor of Han Geng.
In February 2011, Super Junior members Sungmin and Eunhyuk were announced as new additions to the SJ-M subgroup, coinciding with the release of their 2nd Mini Album, 太完美 (Perfection). Currently, the eight active members are: Siwon, Ryeowook, Donghae, Eunhyuk, Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Zhou Mi and Henry.
Super Junior H
Super Junior-Happy (슈퍼주니어-해피), sometimes referred to as SJ-H or Suju-Happy (슈주-해피), is the fourth official sub-unit of Korean boy band Super Junior. Super Junior-Happy contains six Super Junior members, Leeteuk (the leader), Yesung, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, and Eunhyuk.
Super Junior-Happy’s music style involves the common style of contemporary dance music and bubblegum pop, mainly targeting the music industry with their fun and entertaining style. Super Junior-Happy’s debut single, “Cooking? Cooking!” is a dance track with refreshing rhythm and quirky lyrics. Their goal is to give fans feelings of bliss and happiness with their music.
S.M. The Ballad
SM The Ballad (stylized as S.M. The Ballad or S.M. THE BALLAD) is a ballad project group formed by S.M. Entertainment. The group’s members are: TRAX’s Jay, Super Junior’s Kyuhyun, SHINee’s Jonghyun and new member Jino. They are described as their label’s Vocal Unit Group.
M&D was a duo formed by SM Entertainment in June 2011 which consists of South Korean boy band Super Junior’s Heechul and labelmate rock band TRAX’s Jungmo. The band name is an abbreviation for either “Midnight and Dawn” or “Miari and Dangyedong” in reference of Jungmo and Heechul’s respective towns where they live.
Super Junior’s Heechul and TRAX’s Jungmo announced on Mnet UV Syndrome Begins and on MBC Golden Fishery Radio Star about the project in May 2011. They revealed via their official twitter accounts the development of the project group. Heechul revealed a photo of which is the cover for the song “뭘봐 (Close Your Mouth)”, which was released on June 22, 2011 digitally in South Korea. The song is a “disco rock” song and has an old sound.
On July 25th, Super Junior’s Kim Heechul announced the official disbandment of his project group with the Trax’s Jungmo, ‘M&D’.